RGB LED array driver

Forums Forums Xcelerator Blocks RGB LED array driver

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bodger
    Participant

There’s a bunch of nice RGB LED arrays appearing on the surplus market these days, panels from large LED displays. They’re reasonably simple to drive (13 signals), but have to be refreshed at a high rate to enable PWM dimming. An FPGA would be a good choice to produce the drive signals and do the refreshing. They all seem to use the same “HUB75” connector and pinout.

Kaylie

Thank you for your suggestion! We already have developed a NeoPixel XB, and this looks to be another cool way to use the capabilities of XLR8.

bodger
    Participant

True, and I’m aware of the NeoPixel XB. However, the LED arrays are much cheaper. A 32×32 board (1024 LEDs) is $40, whereas that many NeoPixels would cost around $460: more than ten times as much.

Kaylie

Yes, you are right. LED Arrays are more pocket book friendly. An RGB LED Array library would be an excellent XB to express the functionality of the XLR8. We will add this to our roadmap of potential XBs.

Thank you

ForceTronic
    Participant

Hello, for your XLR8NeoPixel.h library on GitHub in the comments you state how to use your XLR8NeoPixel library in place of the Adafruit_NeoPixel.h library so users can still use higher level Adafruit libraries like Adafruit_GFX and Adafruit_NeoMatrix. I tried using the process you explain (see my simple code below), but I get the following compile error

“Arduino: 1.8.3 (Windows 10), Board: “XLR8 Snō, 16MHz Standard (Float,Servo,NeoPixel) r2141”

C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\cclrXxvX.ltrans0.ltrans.o: In function `__static_initialization_and_destruction_0′:

C:\Users\xxxx\Dropbox\matrixTest/matrixTest.ino:41: undefined reference to `Adafruit_NeoMatrix::Adafruit_NeoMatrix(int, int, unsigned char, unsigned char, unsigned char)’

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

It seems like the compiler does not recognize my declaration of an NeoMatrix object, any ideas what might be the issue? Any help is appreciated.

//*************************** code causing compile error***************************
    #include <XLR8NeoPixel.h>
    #define Adafruit_NeoPixel XLR8NeoPixel
    #define ADAFRUIT_NEOPIXEL_H
    #include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
    #include <Adafruit_NeoMatrix.h>
    #include <Adafruit_NeoPixel.h>

Adafruit_NeoMatrix matrix = Adafruit_NeoMatrix(8, 8, PIN,
    NEO_MATRIX_TOP + NEO_MATRIX_RIGHT +
    NEO_MATRIX_COLUMNS + NEO_MATRIX_PROGRESSIVE,
    NEO_GRB + NEO_KHZ800);

void setup() {

}

void loop() {
    }

Jason Pecor
    Keymaster

Thanks for letting us know about this. I was able to recreate the same compiler issue. This is new behavior, and we will dig into what is going on. Hopefully it will not take long!

I apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason

Jason Pecor
    Keymaster

Looks like we found the culprit, here. There’s a define in the XLR8NeoPixel.h file that is now causing the compile error. It appears to be a new collision with the Adafruit libraries, but we didn’t dig into the deep details, yet.

That said, simply commenting out line 176 of the current XLR8NeoPixel.h library file will get you past this compile error and appears to keep everything working nicely.

For example:

In XLR8NeoPixel.h
    175 #define NEO_KHZ800 0x0000 // 800 KHz datastream
    176 // #define NEO_KHZ400 0x0100 // 400 KHz datastream

We will push a new library header file out to GitHub, as well, but it may take a bit for Arduino to pick it up. Your quickest path to NeoPixel bliss may be to edit the .h file.

Hope this helps!
    Jason

ForceTronic
    Participant

Hello Jason, thanks for the quick reply. I will edit the library directly with the fix you suggested. If I have any issues I will let you know. Excited to get FPGA level control of my NeoPixel Matrix!

Neil

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.